About the myths & legends
The myths and legends section of this site came from a course I ran last week, an SEO for beginners course filled with talented and accomplished marketers across various disciplines.
Basically it went like this. I would put a statement up on the screen. They would then have to decide whether it was true or false by holding up a card. I would then reveal and I scored the whole thing. Out of all of them, out of over 30 myths and legends, the highest score was 14 (well done Laura who walked away with a very handsome Google mug for her efforts) which proved without a shadow of a doubt that people still did not understand what SEO was.
So therefore my first series of blog posts will be based upon this presentation, each one will be a popular SEO myth or legend (or truth) and I’ll then explain why.
- SEO is an attempt to trick the search engines into ranking your site first.
- To rank well in Google, you need to get a high PageRank
- #Metatags are vital to your ranking
- The title tag is an important factor in your on page SEO
- Buying paid links can harm your #rankings
- Your Organic #Google Rankings are influenced by how much you spend on #PPC
- Microsites are great for your organic rankings
- Having a #sitemap and submitting it to #Google improves your #rankings
- Incoming links from spammy websites can harm your #rankings.